Sunday, April 20, 2008

K9 and jargon

As you can see, K9 landed in Brussels this morning - he did suffer from a touch of cranial droop, but the edible silver spray performed very effectively. Our robotic doggy friend will be joining Hugo's class tomorrow and hopefully, won't come home to afflict the family paunches any further.

Meanwhile, am wincing as I read Joshua Ferris's Then We Came to the End, a book that makes me cringe with its vivid depiction of office life with all associated gossip and essentially meaningless activity. It's been some years since I worked in an office, and I daresay, since I will have to work until I'm at least 100 before a pension can kick in at a reasonable level, will work in one again, but give me teenagers and a classroom any day. At least in the educational world, there is some resistance to the concept that all activity must have a financially measurable output. Sadly, not total resistance, and there are plenty of educational managers out there who have swallowed the jargon pill and spew out drone-speak. And the 11-18 age group are very intolerant of bollocks-speak, and recognise it at 50 paces, which makes for a refreshing environment.

I'm not sure that there's a point to TWCTTE, plot-wise, and at times the continuous we-voice is a little wearing, but overall, it's an impressive tour de force.

No comments: