Friday, June 27, 2008

All romance is rape-lite!!!!

I just read a great article about Lilian Peake's Promise at Midnight, a skewering of the old-style M&Bs that used to circulate in the late 1970s (just around the time I started reading them - no wonder I never trusted boys!) (Link: http://jezebel.com/5019950/1980s-romance-novels-hair+raising-lip+mashing-horror-shows).


And then in the comments, I found that someone called ronaldpagan said:

"All romance novels have disturbing rape-lite scenes, but this is one of the worst I've ever seen."


You what!!! Um, ronaldp, read any good books recently? Umm, like Pride and Prejudice, uber-romance, or Frederica by Georgette Heyer, or Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson, or Bet Me, Jennifer Crusie or or or or....

Anyway, I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor after that sweeping and ggrrrrrr outrageously ignorant and dumbass statement.

No comments: